Skyline High School Softball Adds Junior Varsity Team for Upcoming Season

Matthew Lew, Forum Writer

Skyline High School’s softball program adds a Junior Varsity team for the first time in years ahead of the 2022 spring sports season.

In years past, the softball program has only featured a Varsity team. However, a larger turnout has allowed the program to field enough players for the addition of a Junior Varsity team. 

Matt Steen is entering his third, but first full season as head coach of the softball program. His first season was cut short before it even started due to the COVID-19 pandemic, followed by a condensed, 10-game season the next year. Having two teams has been a goal of his since starting, so after a two year wait, his vision is finally becoming a reality.

Steen had 24 girls attend the initial team information meeting in the fall and 29 register to play. Although not everyone turned out, the program is currently sitting at 23 players.

“The first inkling of [two teams] being a possibility was in the fall,” Steen said. “But it didn’t become a reality until tryouts.”

Steen has a talented Varsity crew led by six seniors, three of which will be playing softball in college. The team went 9-1 last season with only one senior graduating, so the program is looking to compete this season at both the Varsity and JV level

Last year’s team had 17 players which made playing time hard to balance, as there are only nine positions that can be played at one time. 

With 23 players in the program, the second team was needed to give players more opportunities to play. However, having a JV team has other benefits as well, especially for the younger players.

“In terms of underclassmen, where it benefits them is if they’re not playing at the varsity level, it gives them a chance to build some leadership skills,” Steen said.

The JV team also provides players who have never played before with an opportunity to get familiar with the sport and be a part of a team.

Sometimes the designations of Varsity and Junior Varsity lead people to believe the teams are separate. Despite that common belief, the program still acts as one. 

Mia Rogers, a Senior committed to play at Willamette University next spring, is optimistic about the new circumstances presented to this year’s players. 

“Having two teams is great because we can learn from each other and the JV girls can pick up some new drills from Varsity,” Rogers said. “We can always help each other and make each other stronger.”

Steen’s vision doesn’t stop with simply having two teams. He wants his teams to compete, but more importantly, he is looking to build a culture.

“I try not to focus on results-driven expectations,” Steen said. “My goal is that [the players] have something they can look back on and feel positive about, as well as create friendships and bonds with this crew.”

The idea of winning games and championships is too often the main priority in youth and high school sports, which can put a lot of pressure on athletes. 

The softball program has a core belief of “person over player”. This takes into account that there is more to sports than just success and that players aren’t defined by what happens on the field.

“I’m much more concerned about them as people than as players,” Steen said. “If you take care of who they are as people, the player will come along.”

Steen’s goals for the program reach beyond softball at the high school level. On Saturday, March 5, the Skyline softball program held a camp for little leaguers ranging from fourth-grade to sixth-grade. Due to COVID, this traditional camp has not been a possibility the past two years.

Events extended outside Skyline’s softball program allows for younger girls to get involved with the game and gives the older girls a chance to give back to their community.

“It was super fun to give back to softball and the game and teach the new generations because they are going to be Spartans in the future,” Rogers said.

Steen wants to continue growing interest in the program and knows that it starts with the youth.

Successful high school programs are similar to a pyramid, the base foundation is built at a youth level and allows for strong development as players on and off the field and leads all the way through Junior Varsity.

“My goal is to try and build a community. This game has given me and my family life-long friendships,” Steen said. “It’s family. That’s what I see for the long term.”