March Madness Distractions

Hayden Wong, Sports Editor

March has quickly become a month that many Skyline High School teachers find difficult to look forward to. With 136 men’s and women’s teams competing to represent their schools across the country, the March Madness tournament is one of the few sporting events that end up conflicting with the everyday activities of students and basketball fans alike. 

Although checking in on a game here and there between breaks and passing periods may seem harmless, the attention-grabbing nature of the tournament has had surprising effects on the American economy.

According to a study published by WalletHub on March 9th, the NCAA tournament has accounted for around $13.8 billion in corporate losses due to unproductive workers watching the games. Luke Simpson, a junior at Skyline, believes the distraction goes beyond the tournament’s naturally entertaining nature. 

“I’ve always watched the tournament from beginning to end,” says Simpson. “Many [fans] wager money on their favorite teams and it raises the stakes and excitement.

The American Gaming Association predicted that around 45 million people will place money on this year’s March madness equating to around $3.1 billion in bets. With sports gambling now legal in more than 24 states, the market for action-packed college basketball has continued to trend upwards. 

Many students agree that the reason why the tournament can become such a distraction, especially in between lessons, is because of how accessible the games are to watch on mobile devices. 

“I certainly think it depends on the teacher, but for the most part they do care if students watch during class because it distracts them from the lesson,” says Simpson.

Luke also added that the bracket challenges which have become a staple of the tournament are also a huge distractor early into the competition.

With roughly one-fifth of the total population of the United States creating a bracket every March, many assume that the possibility of predicting a perfect bracket and obtaining Warren Buffett’s infamous prize of $1 billion isn’t too unreasonable. And yet, only 49 of the potential 9.2 quintillion outcomes have ever been predicted correctly by a single bracket.

It has become common practice for many work and friend groups to create “leagues” for their brackets. With teachers and students creating their brackets to compete against peers, the games have become more than just rooting for your favorite team. 

“I have watched the tournament in class,” admits Simpson. “But there’s always been a sense of normalcy to doing so. If some of my teachers have a game on their screen, why can’t we enjoy the same?” 

No workplace, regardless of environment or age demographic, is free of distraction. And while many teachers and bosses alike have recognized what disturbances like March Madness can do for overall productivity, there’s an opportunity to balance the fun.

HR Dive recently spoke with a human resources expert who believes that managers should “emphasize the importance of turning in deliverables on time and celebrating in moderation.” Without this medium, the games can be a “welcome” distraction.

Finding a medium in schools and the office is a challenge that needs to be met head-on with the growing interest in sporting events like march madness. Instead of condemning the fun, integrating it into everyday activities could be the solution for the future of a healthy workplace.