The Number of Male Actors Allows for Skyline’s Theatre Program to Showcase Newsies

Jenna Berndt, Editor

With the optimal opportunity to utilize the number of boys in this year’s theatre program, Newsies, the well-known Disney musical is making its way to Skyline’s stage this May. 

Based on the real-life Newsboys’ Strike of 1899 against Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst, the musical covers the newsboys’ fight for fair wages after prices per paper were increased. Since the real-life event was executed by young men, Newsies the musical is structured to feature a significant number of male characters.

Considering the size of this year’s theatre program, Chris Johnson and Joseph Hrncirik, two of the Senior leads in the musical, advocated a considerable amount for this particular show. 

“We are in a very special situation this year because usually with most high schools there’s no guys in theatre or no guys that can sing in theatre,” Johnson said. “And this year we have a lot, this never happens really. It is just really cool to showcase so much male talent, which usually you can’t.”

Typically theatre programs are more female-dominated among high schools, making it difficult to put on certain productions. Jaclyn Fry, the Director for the Skyline Theatre Program expresses her outlook on being able to put this musical together. 

“There’s a lot of guys [this year], so it was the only opportunity to do Newsies because there’s so much male vocal and acting talent,” Fry said. “[It’s] been wonderful because we don’t usually get to choose shows that are more male character-heavy.”

While there are enough male participants for this year’s musical, the Newsies complex dance choreography creates some challenges. 

“There’s a lot of amazing dancers in the [original] Newsies, and we have very talented people, but I am not a dancer,” Johnson said. “I think I can hold my own, but I had to work my way through it.”

Fry has also mentioned that since Newsies is such a big Disney show that the hardest part is having enough time. 

“The actors are doing a phenomenal job in rehearsal and it’s absolutely wonderful, but it is just a large show,” Fry said. “It’s not really the skills or abilities in the show [that’s hard], it’s having all the time to fit it into rehearsal.”

Even though there are some feelings of stress with opening night fast approaching, the cast and crew’s hard work gives them an opportunity to win a 5th avenue award. 

“It’s a strong show,” Fry says. “And I am not just saying that, in comparison to my other shows that I have done here, it is definitely the strongest one.”

The 5th Avenue Awards are essentially the Tony Awards for WA high school musical theatre. Judges from the Seattle Theatre industry come to high school musical productions to judge the performance. Students and the entire performance can be nominated, and the awards ceremony takes place in June. It’s a great way for programs to be recognized and a wonderful opportunity for students to be able to compete nationally in musical theatre.

For many of the seniors, this show is their last theatrical performance ever. Although it will be hard to say goodbye, Johnson and Hrncirik have a positive outlook.

“There’s no better way for us to end our senior year because this was the musical that we have wanted for years now. And seeing it come to life is really something special,” Johnson said.

The musical will be performed in the Lyceum Theatre on the 4th, 5th and 6th of May @ 7pm and May 7th at 2 and 7pm. Tickets will be sold at the box office in front of the theatre: $6 for SHS staff/students and $12 for general admission.