Spring Sports Recap

Nate Fischer, Sports Writer

As the 2023 Spring Sports season wraps up, all of Skylines teams have once again had great seasons all around. 

Starting off with the 2023 boys soccer team. Last season came to a brutal end, as the boys lost the state championship to bellarmine prep by one goal. But this season was their revenge tour. Junior left back/throw in specialist Kyle Kropp says that after the teams slow start, “We just got it together, and started hammering down wins.” When asked what changed for the team, Kropp claimed, “The Newport loss was our turning point. It was a close game, and they got a sneaky goal in with around ten minutes left, heartbreaking loss.” Halfway through the playoffs, right before the boys took down the Jackson wolves, Kropp said he believed they would go all the way this year, and he wasn’t wrong. The Men’s Soccer team won their next few games, then went on to Beat the Puyallup Vikings 2-0 and were crowned the 2023 state Champions. 

Men’s Lacrosse was also a season of success. A year ago, they won the 2022 state championship against their rival Issaquah, and expectations had never been higher. With star players Nick Vermeulan and JP [John Parker] Jones returning. The defending champs got off to a very hot start as they looked to repeat as state champs. As expected, they continued to roll through the competition and made it right back to where they were a year before. But tragically, they lost to Mount Si in a 10-9 thriller, and their dreams of a repeat were cut short. Regardless, the boys lacrosse club had an outstanding season, finishing 2nd in the state. 

Baseball was coming off a final four appearance from the 2022 season, but it was a team full of seniors. So, this year they needed some younger guys to step up. Junior’s Dylan Folkman, Agassi Owen, and Jaxon Menold all played extremely impactful roles. Along with sophomore Mason Pirello, who hit home runs in back-to-back games. But even with all the young firepower. The Spartans fell to 6th in Kingco by the end of the regular season. But just like last year they went on a run. Pirello says, “Even though we have had our ups and downs, I trust our guys to get the job done” Skyline went on to get second in districts and earn a spot in the state tournament. Where they would unfortunately lose to Tahoma 10-0. Senior Pitching ace Maddox Nicola claims the team, “Let down the school.” The team’s effort was phenomenal, and the boys had another great season. 

The Girls golf team was unstoppable this year. One of the team’s top golfers, Nyla Lim said, “Overall the season was LIGHT, we went 8-1 basically ate up the “competition” if you want to call it that.” She went on to talk about how committed the team was. Saying they soared past the expectations the school had for them. Lim was also enthusiastic about team chemistry. “Honestly it’s been the best season so far since the 3 years I’ve been on the team, now we’re going to head to state and hopefully come home with a win.” The girls did great at state and ended up getting 4th overall. 

Track and Field was a season for the record books. Both the boys and the girls had multiple record breakers as the season finished. The girls finished 1st in Kingco, led by their top tier distance team. Junior runners Anna Callahan and Rebecca O’keefe dominated the league, districts, and state. Callahan was the Gatorade runner of the year and both girls are ranked high nationally. The boys finished 3rd in Kingco, led by the sprint team. The boys 4 by 1 team, Jani weir, Cam weir, TJ Crandell, and Yousuf Elkhawad set multiple meet records. Senior TJ Crandell set the school 100-meter record and got 4th in state. Sophomore Cam Weir set the school 200-meter record, and still has 2 more seasons to improve it. These runners, along with dominant throwers and jumpers led Skyline to success. Congratulations to all runners on a great season. 

Girls softball was coming off a final 4 appearance from the season before. Expectations were high for seniors Kaelani Randle and Finley Caringer. They lived up to them as they both were 1st team, all conference players. The team finished 2nd in Kingco and had a very successful season. After getting off to a hot start, with no real competition in the Kingco conference, it looked like they could go all the way. After a few unfortunate losses, including one to the Kingco champion, Bothell, they were eliminated. Regardless, they finished 19-7 and had an outstanding year. 

All of Skyline’s spring sports teams gave great efforts and finished with plenty of success. Go Spartans!