What’s the future of Chinese education?—The “Double Reduction” Policy 

Echo He, World News Section Editor

As the fall term of the new school year is approaching, the Chinese government is making changes to their education plans with the release of “The Double Reduction Policy” with the goal of reducing stress and balancing educational resources. 

The full name of this policy, which was released on July 24th, 2021, is “Suggestions on further reducing the burden of homework and off-campus training for students in compulsory education”, simplified as “The Double Reduction Policy”. Its main objective is a reduction in two areas: students’ homework amount and the pressure from after-school programs.

According to The General Offices of the CPC Central Committee and The State Council, the reason for reducing the afterschool programs is for correcting the wrong path of Chinese education. Both parties stated there is no need to put so much energy, pressure, and money on afterschool programs just for good grades. 

Moreover, reducing schoolwork is the other goal for students in order to build a healthier and more colorful lifestyle by getting more sleep and having time to participate in extracurriculars. 

Xiaonan Xie, a 10th high school student who is located in Shanghai with excellent grades, shared her thoughts about the policies.

“I personally think that the actual and ultimate goals of Double Reduction are very reasonable. If the Double Reduction policy develops in the future, if it can achieve that every student only needs to finish the content in school, everyone is standing in the same start line, that’s the best possible education ideal.”

She also expressed that the Double Reduction can make education in China more comprehensive because it also collaborates with the limiting time of online game policy released at the same time as the double reduction policy.  

Chinese education is famous for testing, after the double reduction was released, the parents are unable to enroll in different types of after-programs, but they have targeted the private tutors for continuing their ambition of being competitive and being ahead.

Even though many students saw and experienced the positive effects of the Double Reduction policy, some people, such as Qiuyue Yao, a student living in Shanghai, complained that the policy makes education even more inequitable. 

“I feel that this title, the “double Reduction” policy is just for the parents from poor families who don’t have money because these policy advocates banning the afterschool programs,” she explained, “actually the rich people all go for private tutors, so the education itself is not fair at all.”

Additionally, because the policy is more focused on elementary and middle school students, the high school students are still suffering from the basic sleeping-deprived issue.

“The real thing should be reduced by the time we stayed in school.” Qiuyue continued. “The high school students have to get up at 6 pm, return home at 8 pm, and after taking shower and other stuff, it’s already 11 pm.”

As the Double Reduction policy is causing hot discussions, far from China, a Chinese immigrated high school student living in the US, CA, Ellen Yu shared her opinion.

“All I know is that there is a reduction on the amount of the homework as well as some school work they got,” She said. “Students can be less stressed and they have more time to do whatever they want.”

She shared her experience of being a high school student in one of the most competitive schools in CA, and how she thinks the Double Reduction policy can have a positive effect on students’ lives.

“I need to wake up in the morning around 3 am or 4 am just to finish my homework,” She said. “I feel that a reduction in the amount of work we have to do definitely helps with the sleeping quality.”

The implementation of the Double Reduction policy leads to many different education opinions, however, the overall impact of this Chinese education plan will take time.