After 12 Years, ISD Superintendent to Retire at End of Year

Rahma Kedir, News Section Editor

Superintendent Ron Thiele of the Issaquah School District recently announced his retirement for the end of the 2021-2022 school year. 

Thiele’s first job in education was as a substitute teacher in Seattle Public Schools. He worked as a teacher in Los Angeles for two years, before finally making his way to the Issaquah School District.

Thiele has almost 25 years of educator experience. He first worked as an assistant principal and principal of Issaquah Middle School before soon joining ISD central office in 2004. Thiele became superintendent of the ISD in 2009 after working as associate superintendent for five years.

Ms. Havlin, a Skyline teacher, had him as her middle school principal at Issaquah Middle School her eighth grade year. “He was really warm and friendly. We used to give him the nickname of “Mr. Feelly” because he was just so nice and we could tell that he really cared about the middle school a lot”, Havlin says.  

With nearly 21,000 students enrolled in the district’s 26 schools, Thiele has helped compose and keep together the district for the past 12 years. 

“Ron has the proven track record and positive relationships to seamlessly continue the major initiatives that we have in place,” said ISD Board President, Brian Deagle when Thiele was first elected.  “At the same time, he cares deeply about this district, and he wants to pursue ideas and partnerships that continue to challenge us to impart to our students the education, skills, and experience that will set them up for success throughout their lives.” 

Thiele has had a history of positive relationships with staff, students, community members, and organizations. 

“I have tremendous love and gratitude for the Issaquah School District community, the Issaquah School Board, and our amazing ISD employees for the opportunities you have given me to lead”, Thiele said in his goodbye letter. 

Thiele has been working with the Issaquah School District for 21 years now, 13 of which he served at the Issaquah School District central office. Thiele’s warm and kind energy will be missed by many in the Issaquah School District. 

According to the Issaquah Report, Thiele, “cares deeply about this district, and he wants to pursue ideas and partnerships that continue to challenge us to impart to our students the education, skills, and experience that will set them up for success throughout their lives”. 

After working in public education for over 40 years, Thiele has decided to begin a new chapter in his life. “My wife Jill and I look forward to spending more time with our family and friends while pursuing our hobbies and interests” Thiele stated in his goodbye letter. 

Although he will be leaving the school board, Thiele still plans on being in support of the ISD community. “I look forward to continuing my service for the remainder of my tenure and will support the School Board, staff and community in any way I can to help ensure a smooth transition into the next era of leadership”, Thiele says.