Skyline Swim and Dive Wrap-up

Madox Nicola, Sports Editor

Frost is building on the grass, it’s only 7pm on a friday night. you’re walking in your t-shirt passing parked cars about a quarter mile away from the large brick building. You finally make it to the building and immediately you’re hit with a wave of hot humid air. Loud yelling is echoing off the walls, all you can hear is the continuous “GO” as the swimmers break through the surface. Before you know it you’re starting to break a sweat and happy you’re in your t-shirt. 

That was two weeks ago at the 4A KingCo-Wesco District Tournament, in Mercer Island’s Mary Wayte pool. Skyline swimmers did well enough to earn a bid to the 2022-23 4A washington swim state championship. The swim team the following week headed to Federal Way for the state tournament at KCAC [King County Aquatic Center] in federal way. Skyline would finish an impressive 3rd in the 4A state tournament falling behind Curtis high school and Newport high school. 

Senior Skyline swim team captain Jackson Brooks, acted as leader throughout the season. The four-year varsity swimmer was a no brain choice for many swimmers, as he was unanimously voted swim captain. 

“I think the season went really well,” Brooks said. “The boys showed a lot of growth and improvement over the few months, I’m really impressed by everyone’s effort.” 

Throughout the season returning swimmers Matthew Dillon, Terry Lee, and Daniel Lazar made great improvements over the season and look to pick up where they left off for the 2023-2024 season. 

Junior swimmer Charles Lee stood out for the Spartans, consistently finishing near the top of every race he participated in. Although Lee did not score his best times, the junior still managed to hang close with All-American swimmer Connor Brown at Eastlake, helping the Spartans clinch 3rd in state Lee’s best race 

“My favorite moment of the season was getting third at state,” Brooks added “It’s nice to see the hard work pay off in one final weekend.” 

The state swim championships was many senior’s last meet of their career not only with Skyline but in general, as some won’t be heading back to their club teams. 

“It was my last swim meet ever,” Brooks reflected. “It’s nice going out on a high note.” 

Senior Captain’s Brooks and Diver Zach Halter have both competed in their last Skyline swim competition [meet mentioned in the quote above]. Halter had been a tremendous help in receiving points as he was consistently on the podium for every dive event he participated in. Meanwhile, Brooks was the anchor for the men’s relay and a great leader always knowing what’s expected from the swimmers. Even with graduating seniors unable to return for next season, Brooks still gives next year’s team high praise. 

“Next year, Skyline is going to be the best Skyline swim team the school has possibly ever seen,” Brooks said.

Newport and Eastlake are also losing vital seniors, most notably Connor Brown and Liam Campbell. There’s great things on the horizon for Skyline. With the strong number of returning swimmers. Possibly one of the schools greatest opportunities next year for their first State title since 2019.