The Legacy of Girl Scouts

Dina Stitou, Forum Writer

Most Americans probably don’t think about where their money has gone after buying a box of tag-a-longs. 

Well, the answer simply leads to more questions.

According to the Girl Scouts Organization, 76% of the cost of each girl scout cookie box is reinvested in local Girl Scouts. 

So, what are the Girl Scouts doing with the income of their hard working neighbors? They reinvest the profit within their own organization. No girl scout in the USA receives any direct payment for selling cookies. 

However, they receive a long list of benefits – and so do their local communities.

Girl Scouts gain entrepreneurial skills, camp outdoors, become leaders, receive counseling, and are given the opportunity to attend a variety of programs and trips during their time as a girl scout.

Madison Stephens, a former girl scout of several years, and current college student, reflects on her time as a girl scout.

“Girl Scouts empower women because it is one of the first steps that a girl can take to begin her journey as a leader,“ Stephens said. “It [Girl Scouts] gives girls opportunities to help their communities and learn life skills”. 

Girl Scouts was first established as a Girl Guide organization in 1912 by a group of 18 girls that believed they were capable of accomplishing anything. Badges were awarded upon meeting certain requirements from the 1917 Girl Scout Handbook. The badges would motivate the young girls to try new activities and to accomplish new milestones.

The creator of Girl Scouts, Juliette Gordon, in 1923

Some examples from the Georgia Historical Society include, “A. Civics / Citizen Badge: Tell the history and object of the Declaration of Independence; be able to name the officers of the President’s Cabinet and their portfolios.

1. Athletics: Know and be able to teach twenty popular games.
  2. Dairy: Know how to feed, kill, and dress poultry; test five cows for ten days each with Babcock Test and make proper reports
  3. Boatswain: Be able to row, pole, scull, or steer a boat; land a boat and make fast; state directions by sun and stars.
  4. Scribe: Write 12 news articles (preferably one a month), not to exceed 500 words each, on events that come within the observation of the Scout that are not public news, as for instance, school athletic events, entertainments of Scouts, church or school, neighborhood incidents.”

For every one of those tasks performed, there is a specific badge that is awarded and added to a sash worn by the girls when in uniform. 

By participating in  the cookie program, young women learn about business ethics, money management, goal setting, and social skills to build a strong foundation for them as young women.

The profit made off of cookies like Thin Mints and Caramel deLites go mainly to the Girl Scout troops in order to sponsor the girl’s scholarships, events, trainings, trips and more.       

By teaching young women how to perform survival skills, social etiquette, and modern business tactics, Girl Scout Troops strengthen families, schools, and entire communities.