MLB Lockout Stalls Game for More Than Just Players

Jade Fontenelle, Section Editor

The smell of hot dogs and popcorn fills the air. The crack of the ball hitting a bat roars through the stadium filled with excited fans. Cheers erupt and the sea of people all supporting the game of baseball band together. However, America’s Past Time may leave stadiums deserted due to the recent lockout.

On Dec 2, the Commissioner of Major League Baseball (MLB), Robert Manfred Jr., announced a lockout of the league, threatening the future of the 2022 season. 

Team owners decided to have the lockout which prevents union players from working until the dispute between owners and the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) settles. 

After a season where baseball fans came together and had one of the highest fan attendance in years the lockout is upsetting for more than just the players and team owners.

“There are three sides to this situation, the players, owners, and fans and I really think that the fans are pulling the shortest end of the stick.”  former Skyline High School student and MLB prospect Cole Fontenelle said. 

Fans are upset with the owner’s defensive decision to announce a lockout, which has stopped more than just being able to watch games. Due to the lockout, the MLB has lost rights to players’ names, images, and likenesses. This means that jerseys, images, and other items whose rights fall under the MLBPA cannot be used by the MLB. 

Many official team accounts and social media platforms cannot post content as they cannot images of players and fans can no longer buy jerseys. 

“Being in the off-season, MLB wants to keep fans still interested in the game, and without sales and social media they can’t do that,” Fontenelle said. 

As for MLB hopefuls, outcomes are not being impacted too harshly. 

“Most Minor leaguers are not affected, however, some players in the Minor’s” Minor Leaguer in the Colorado Rockies system, Braiden Ward, said. “Especially guys who are doing well and looking forward to getting moved up to Major’s definitely have it a little rougher.”. 

Trades have been halted as the MLB has stopped all deals involved with the MLB so players who are looking to move up from the minors or are free agents, meaning the contract they have for the team they are playing for has expired, cannot be traded to another team. 

Despite trades being halted with the lockout, future prospects can stay optimistic.

“The lockout will not affect scouting because these players are not a part of the MLBPA” Tampa Bay Rays scout Chris Hom said.

The lockout was decided in hopes of putting more pressure on the associations to come to an agreement. 

The MLBPA is asking for a larger share of the money that the owners are not willing to give and the decision does not seem like it will come to a conclusion any time soon.

“From the beginning, the MLBPA has been unwilling to move from their starting position, compromise, or collaborate on solutions,” Manfred said in a letter to baseball fans.

As the lockout continues on with no news of progress fans are becoming frustrated.

“It’s rich guys arguing with even richer guys and I just wish this whole situation could have been handled without going into a lockout,” Fontenelle said.