Evergreen Philharmonic Gives a Show-Stopping Performance 

Jade Fontenelle, Editor

As the lights dimmed in the Issaquah Highschool Theater, quiet conversations halted, and a captive audience turned to the stage. Both the Evergreen Philharmonic and Jazz Band as well as those attending the concert were dressed in their best formal attire. The orchestra took center stage with the Jazz Band positioned in the banisters to the right. As the first song commenced, whispers of awe settled amongst the crowd.  

Minutes flew by as the Evergreen Philharmonic held the attention of the concert attendees creating a night that filled the room with music more elegant than the suave ties that were slowly loosened throughout the night and high heels that tapped the rhythm of the songs. 

“I went into the night with little expectations, but I left completely surprised by how good [the orchestra and jazz band] sounded.” Senior, Joseph Lee said.  

Last year’s concert was canceled due to Covid-19 causing this year’s performance to be one that many of the musicians within the Evergreen Philharmonic to hold much anticipation towards.  

“I have been a part of Evergreen since my Freshman year.” Senior and oboist in the Evergreen Philharmonic Sarah Zhong stated. “You spend so much time practicing so to finally be able to play in front of a large audience was really fun for everyone.” 

In previous years this particular concert that is put on annually by the Evergreen Philharmonic is a formal dance with food and drinks and Evergreen performing for music but with Covid-19 restrictions this was unable to happen.  

“This was my first time coming to this event, so I had no idea that in previous years there even was a dance which seemed fun but honestly I really enjoyed just sitting and listening to the music without any distractions,” Lee said. “It made me appreciate what I was listening to more.” 

Without a doubt, the Evergreen Philharmonic played spectacularly. The show ran for approximately two hours with the Orchestra and Jazz Band alternating songs and ultimately came together for the finale that included vocals from a local choir teacher.  

Popular waltzes that many have heard before were played as well as waltz renditions to other songs such as “Beauty and the Beast” and “At Last” were performed. 

“Evergreen tries to put on a show we know people will enjoy but it’s always nice knowing that we didn’t just perform well but that our audience was actually entertained and interested in what we were playing,” Zhong said.  

Evergreen Philharmonic was able to put on a show that dazzled today’s short attention spans. From young siblings to grandparents, viewers were enthralled by the music they were listening to. Without a ringer going off, or a bright screen lighting an inattentive face, it was clear that this long-awaited night was an event no one wanted to miss.  

“Evergreen has been such a big part of my high school experience and I am just so grateful that I got to share the thing that I am so passionate about with all my closest friends and family.” Said Zhong. “I would not have traded those hours I spent with Evergreen for anything else and I can’t wait to see how the program continues even after I’m gone.” 

With only a limited number of concerts played per year, each attendee who was able to experience the Evergreen Philharmonic walked away from that night considering themselves fortunate. The next concert is set to be April 24th with more information about the event being released as the date approaches for both those who missed the first concert, and for the many who will be returning for more.