TOLO’s Cancellation Highlights to Division Amongst Skyline Students

Jade Fontenelle, Editor

By Jade Fontenelle

With arcade games, costumes, and light-hearted fun at the Family Fun Center, Tolo is a dance where roles are reversed, and a school dance is given a more casual feel. However, due to a lack of interest, Tolo is facing a rain check.

Tolo was set to be held April 1 with the theme being Disney+ as voted upon by the Skyline student body, but is now encountering a cancellation resulting in not enough tickets being sold.

Having had large successes with the event in previous years, Senior Ellie Lindley was surprised by its repeal.

“Tolo is one of those things like Homecoming where it’s such a big deal that you just assume that it’s happening whether or not me and my friends decide to attend or not,” Lindley stated. “I have never gone to Tolo in the past but the event has always happened so I just assumed this year would be the same, but I guess not.”

With the mask mandate lifted and life beginning to resume back to normal, the lack of interest by Skyline Students was an outcome that was least expected.

ASB Senior Vice-President Aashna Patil stated, “We started putting information about Tolo out and there seemed to be a lot of talk about it but as days passed and hardly any tickets were sold [ASB] kind of had to reflect and be like ‘hey this really might not happen’.”

Many questions are raised about the lack of enthusiasm seen for Tolo that was consistent in the past. With the absence of morning  announcements and the pandemic robbing the event from the last two school years it is difficult to know for sure but Freshman Dylan Allison shared his perspective on the matter.

“When it was time to buy tickets I just asked my friends and because it didn’t seem like anyone else was going so we just kind of decided that we wouldn’t either,” Allison said.

Wanting to follow what seemed to be the majority may have contributed to the lack of tickets sold but Patil had other thoughts.

“I have noticed that this year especially Skyline has felt less connected than ever and I think its clear that its because of the Pandemic,” Patil stated.  “Half the students that attend Skyline I have never seen before up until this year and I am a Senior, the 9th graders and Sophomores have it even worse off than us.”

Despite this year being entirely in person, Skyline High School is still experiencing the effects of last year’s circumstances.

“Us Seniors are the only ones who have even gotten the chance to experience Tolo and I think because of that, there is not communication from the upperclassman to lower classman being like, ‘hey TOLO is super fun I’ve gone in the past and you should go to’ because there were no opportunities for us to really experience Tolo for ourselves,” Patil stated with disappointment.

Though the Pandemic could be the root for the lack of desire from the lower classes, logistics became the issue for other hopeful attendees.

“The main reason me and my friends decided not to go was because a lot people had sports that were on the same day as Tolo, especially because it was on a Friday,” Lindley stated.

Though ASB worked hard to set a date, pleasing all parties is difficult.

“ASB always tries to take in account for school sports and activities but unfortunately we can’t make accommodations for every student in Skyline,” Patil stated. “The Family Fun Center cost was also significantly more to have Tolo on a Saturday.”

Despite valiant efforts by ASB, Tolo had to be cancelled as enough money raised by the purchase of tickets to support the event was not met, though ASB has put together an alternative event. A spring fling being held at Skyline High School is set to occur instead with more information being released as themes and a date become more solidified.