China Changes Covid Policies

Ethan Wang

It has been almost 15 months since the first case of coronavirus was discovered in China, and all countries are suffering from this virus-may be one of the most impactful viruses ever. China, as a country that is great at managing citizens, is one of all countries in the world that solve the issue from covid-19. 

Recently, China has had more and more cases come in, and the Chinese government decided to extend the quarantine policy from 14 days in hotels to 14 days in hotels + 7 days in-home quarantine. However, more extended quarantine can make the number of cases even smaller; most Chinese living outside and want to go back to China have been impacted by this policy. 

AS a student living in the UK, Tianle Yang communicated to me about the situation he is facing. He originally planned to go back to China in the middle of June and go back to the UK in late August, but the policy extension caused him to stay at home for one more week and lose a week of his trip, which poses the question, is going back to China a great deal anymore. 

“I do not want to go back to China if I need to be quarantined for a total of 35 days and only have about a month to have fun; that’s not a great deal and will cause a lot of money during; that’s quarantine.”

While students have been impacted by quarantine policy, students’ parents are also facing troubles. Hai Wang, a parent of the skyline student, talks about the trouble he is facing. 

“I have jobs in China, and I need to go back to help my company, but this long policy pushes me to go back to China as soon as possible and may have to leave students alone in the home, so they don’t need to study at midnight in China.” 

While answering the point of view of his kids going back to China alone, he is worried about COVID and thinks this is way too hard for kids who are still in High School to do all the tests and manage all the things by themselves. But he also shows the confidence that China will change the policy for the people who already have the vaccine shot. 

Talking about vaccine shots, Wang is also talking about the mRNA vaccine that many people are usable or not and the negative effect, “I trust the US government will not use an incomplete vaccine.”