Spartans Confident In Bringing the Coal Bucket Home Again.

Fisher punches in touchdown against Northcreek.

Madox Nicola, Sports Editor

It’s homecoming week for Skyline High School it has been eventful past few days with homecoming festivities throughout the week.  Some students are worrying about their ties and shoes for the dance on Saturday, while other students are in a state of feverish anticipation for the big football game this Friday against Issaquah. 

It’s been a rivalry dominated by the Spartans as they’ve won 7 of the last 8 matchups. This year Skyline is the clear favorite as their defense on average is giving up  9.75 points in league, while Issaquah’s offense is averaging 12.6 points.

Most players are feeling great coming into Friday’s matchup. The team was able to take a much needed rest with the cancelation of the Eastmont game saving a trip over the mountains. The team also feels assured through the week even with limited practices to smoke. 

“Me personally I’m very confident and I’d say the rest of the team is feeling confident as well,” Team Captain, TJ Crandall said “I Think we are ready to show out in front of the school.”

Issaquah’s defensive struggles have been dreadful as they’ve been unable to keep league games close giving up an average of 41.2 points a night. The Eagles lost last week 30-54 in a high scoring contest against North Creek. While some fans are nervous about the scoring over the past few games, The players have little to know concerns about taking care of the Eagles. 

“If I’m being honest I don’t have much concern putting points up early on Issaquah,” Crandall put. “I think we’re gonna run the ball all over Issaquah forcing them to play more in the box. Allowing us to air the ball out.” 

Although confidence is at an all time high throughout Skyline, this week’s game is not an average Friday night lights. It’s the biggest rivalry in existence to Skyline High School, one they can’t afford to lose since every game has implication for seeding. Skyline coaches aren’t letting emotions overshadow the games importance to their season.

“Rivalry games are interesting because records don’t matter,” Head coach Cam Elissara said “There’s more emotions involved and we are looking to get up on them early just like any week” 

Skyline has been able to stay calm under high pressure situations just like against Eastlake, Bothel, and taking care of business in a hostile Pop Keeny stadium. This year because they sit atop of the KingCo standings this could give them a chance to win KingCo and possibly host two home playoff games. Something Skyline teams in the recent past have been unable to accomplish.

“As soon as last year was over I didn’t have two months of an offseason I had 6 months until we were back out,” Elissara said “We were able to establish what we wanted the season to look like and we think that paid off big time.”

The Spartans plan seems to be coming to fruition, as they sit atop of the KingCo standings at 4-0 with an overall record of 5-1. Their only loss this season coming against Lincoln in a game that the Spartans had multiple chances to win.

“We don’t fear anybody just because we lost the game doesn’t mean anything,” Elissara said “We weren’t just a worse team by any means, we just had some bad moments that we can fix… I don’t mind that we lost the game early in the year, it gives us some experience with losing.”

Skyline fans have been waiting patiently for their football team to be back in the State playoff for the first time since 2018. This time hopefully with a lengthy run. 

“Going into the season we had the confidence to win a state championship and I’d say that bar hasn’t changed,” Crandall said “Our goal is to have two home playoff games, win those. Go to the semi finals, win that…Then hold up that trophy.” 

It would be Skyline’s first championship since 2012 and might be their most impressive one considering where the program was just a few seasons ago. 

“We fought through so much… us seniors, we’ve all been through the same experiences,” Crandall stated. “For the underclassmen with that confidence to go into next year and win another one, it’s huge for the program.”

Skyline’s plans to deliver to its fans and themselves to what could be that beginning of something special.  Be sure to support the Spartans in this Friday’s game at 7pm with homecoming festivities taking place during halftime.