Volleyball looks to fight there way into state

Madox Nicola, Forum Writer

It’s already November, for some people it means playoff football and playoff soccer but there’s another Skyline sport battling their way through playoffs looking for a bid to the state tournament. The volleyball team. 

This year’s volleyball team continues to excel as they fought their way through the kingCo tournament this time as a 3 seed. Losing in tough battles to Bothell and Eastlake giving Skyline 4th in KingCo. 

“The success is coming from the connection the players have on the court,” said Sienna Dunn, a Varsity outside hitter for the Volleyball team. “With a good team chemistry it allows us to have high energy and intensity.” 

The volleyball team this year has been solid. They’ve been taking care of teams below them in the standings not wavering to lesser opponents. The team has shown struggles this year against Eastlake going 0-3 against them this year along with other teams that are above them in the standings. 

“I think energy and consistency is our biggest struggle,” Dunn said “Our team thrives off a high energy environment, and we haven’t had much of one this season. It’s difficult to create that sometimes.” 

It’s clear energy is a big deal for the Spartans, they’ve been able to take down strong opponents like Bothell (this year’s KingCo tournament winner). In a home game against Bothell, Skyline was able to upset the Cougars 3-2. It’s something they’ll have to do again as they enter the district tournament slated the Cougars once more. 

“We’ve beaten Bothell once before but we’ve also lost once,” Dunn said “one of their better players got injured in last night’s game so it might play to our advantage.” 

The last time Skyline was in the KingCo tournament was 2019 where they went 0-2 as a 7 seed not getting a bid to the district tournament. This year the team has completely turned around being filled with experienced upperclassmen and a new coach. 

“Last year our coach was not well trained and hadn’t coached volleyball before,” Dunn said. “This year we have a more experienced coach who’s coached high school and club along with a really good assistant coach who helps us on and off the court.”

It has definitely worked well for the Spartans as they have a legitimate chance to find their way to the state tournament. With the goal of staying consistent with the energy. 

“The main focus is keeping our energy high and really being aggressive and wanting it,” Dunn said “sometimes we lack consistency so I think that having high energy throughout the game will get us that W [win].” 

The Spartans will take on the Cougars tomorrow afternoon at Bothell High School at 2pm. Be sure to head out and support our Spartans. If you aren’t able to make it tomorrow you will still have a chance to catch the Spartans playing on Tuesday 7pm. Location is still to be determined pending a win or loss.