Mid-Season Seahawks Check in

Madox Nicola, Sports Editor

It’s 2022 the Seahawks are without Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner and Chris Carson. After a decade of winning it was time to rebuild, with Geno Smith at the helm and no move made for a quarterback at the 2022 draft the plan seemed to be, tank for the 2023 draft. But the Seahawks kept winning now sitting 6-5 after a tough loss to the Las Vegas Raiders.

Seahawk fans need to know just how good Geno Smith and the offense  are playing. Smith currently leads the league in completion percentage at 72.8%, 4th in QBR at 67.7, 2nd in passer RTG at 108

“He’s the real deal. This is the real receipt, there’s no ‘oh, he’s gonna run out of gas,” Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seahawks said. “He knows exactly what he’s doing and he shows you week-in and week-out, throw after throw, after throw.” 

Although Carroll praises Geno for his physical capabilities it actually runs deeper than that. It all truly begins with the connection and relationship between Offensive Coordinator Shane Waldron and Smith. On 710 ESPN Seattle, Carroll released the truth behind the offense’s success.

“They are just communicating to get it done and there’s this conversation that goes on, so they work it out, and Geno [is] taking care of all of that,” Carroll said. “ If you notice, Geno is going off the wristband and that’s a big help. It’s smoothed things out, sped things up, cleaned things up. And that’s part of it, too.” 

Most NFL teams are lucky to hit on one maybe two players in the draft. The Seahawks this year hit on 6 outstanding rookies in the draft. 

On the offensive side of the ball the Seahawks got two great offensive tackles Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas. Two guys built for moving lines forward which pairs nicely with rookie running back sensation Kenneth Walker III. Walker has also recently been named Fox’s Midseason Offensive Rookie of the Year announced by Colin Cowherd a Fox Sports analyst

“Do you know he leads all players in the NFL with 6 touchdowns in the fourth quarter?” questioned Cowherd. “For a rookie, worn down, wearing down. Not a chance.”

As for the defense, the Seahawks went with rookie cornerbacks, Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant. Woolen has been a ball hawk all year as he’s second in the league with 5 interceptions. While rookie Coby Bryant has been forcing fumbles left and right, leading the NFL with 4 forced fumbles

On 710 ESPN Seattle, Charles Woodson, a Hall of Fame Cornerback said Woolen was “In phase” when commenting on Woolen’s playing style. 

“What I mean by that is being in a position to either make the tackle as soon as the catch is made or be in a position to knock the ball down or go for the interception…,” Woodson said. And he seems to do that more often than not.” 

In week 10 the Seahawks lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Munich, Germany. The Seahawks consistently struggled on offensive possessions in the game with an end-zone fumble by Geno Smith and only putting up 16 points. It raises question marks if the first half of the season is a smoke in the mirror or if the Seahawks were just tired after back-to-back road games, the second being in Germany. 

Mike Roni a Football Guru at Skyline High School had this to say on the Seahawks moving forward 

“We’ve got to find a way to keep the offense on the field, continuing to run the ball well that opens up the pass game to our playmakers [Tyler] Locket and DK [Metcalf]” Roni said. “He’s [Geno Smith] a great out of the pocket passer so we need to keep playing to his strengths, using the tight-end sets creating confusion for the defense.”

The Seahawks will play the Las Angeles Rams this Sunday, Dec. 4, 1pm at Lumen Field