Fall Sports Recap and Recognition

Girls+Soccer+Celebrate+programs+6th+State+Title.+

Ryer Ulland

Girls Soccer Celebrate programs 6th State Title.

Abi Barquist, Forum Writer

As Skyline’s 2022 fall sports season concludes, each team has plenty to be proud of. Football, Volleyball, Girls Soccer, Girls Swim and Dive, Cross Country, and Boys Tennis provided lots to cheer for throughout their season, including exciting playoff performances and a state championship trophy.

FOOTBALL

The Varsity Football team ended their regular season with a 6-2 record. Season Highlights included defeating nearby-rival Eastlake 21-7 and Mount Si 13-7. They were crowned 4a KingCo Champions after the 17-0 Homecoming game win over Issaquah on Sept. 21. Securing the 5th seed in the state playoffs, Skyline fought their way to the quarterfinals. On Nov. 18, the Spartans fell to Kennedy Catholic with a final score of 10-38, ending their impressive season.

“We made it far into the playoffs, but we didn’t get to where we wanted to be,” said sophomore varsity football player Zayne Kuewa. “But one thing that I’m proud of is that I finished it with the guys that I like, and we never broke in a single game, we pretty much kept it together.”

VOLLEYBALL

The Varsity Volleyball team entered the state tournament with an overall record of 13-10. The regular season involved a statement win against Newport 3-2. The dramatic 3-1 win over Eastlake on Nov. 10 locked their spot in the state tournament at the 16th and final seed.

“There definitely was a favorite moment out on the court and that was beating Eastlake and heading to state,” said sophomore Spartan volleyball player Addison Simmons. “Especially because that was our first time beating Eastlake and the first time going to state in 5 years.”

Given the daunting task of facing the #1 team in the state, the Spartans fell to Puyallup 3-0 on Nov. 18th. Next, Skyline faced West Valley High School of Yakima and lost 3-1, concluding their season.

“There was definitely a stronger bond this year compared to last. It was also a lot more organized too and there was a lot of team bonding opportunities that we took,” said Simmons. “I look forward to continuing to grow as a player and having the team’s camaraderie build even more.”

GIRLS SOCCER

The Varsity Girls Soccer team left it all on the field in their stellar 17-0-1 undefeated season. With the whole school behind them, the Lady Spartans got the job done.

“I would say we are best at keeping the ball on the ground. We are not like most high school soccer teams that just like to kick it and run,” said Savannah Gunning, assistant varsity coach. “I think we have a set of players that play really well together and know what they each want so they play to those strengths.”

Securing the 1st seed in the state playoffs, the Spartans defeated three teams leading up to the state championship, never getting scored on in the entire state tournament. The dominant team accomplished their goal of winning state with a final score of 2-0 against Skyline’s rivals, the Issaquah Eagles. With this season’s constant success, the possibility of a dynasty comes to mind.

“We are losing nine seniors and a core of them are starters.” said Gunning. “It’ll be interesting to see how we rebuild after those core players leave and who can step up and fill those people’s shoes.”

GIRLS SWIM AND DIVE

The Girls Swim and Dive season wrapped up on Nov.12 at the State Championships. The final combined team score of 82 left the Spartans taking 10th place overall. Individual performances included senior Calliope Kim placing 3rd in the 100-yard Breaststroke event with a time of 1:05.8. Senior Hannah Tran, senior Calliope Kim, senior Rylee Stevens and freshman Mira Guo took 5th place in the 200-yard Medley Relay.

CROSS COUNTRY

Despite injuries throughout the season, the Varsity Cross Country team represented at the KingCo League XC Championships on Oct. 21 with multiple players on the podium. Junior Anna Callahan finished in 1st place with a time of 17:23.6, followed by junior Rebecca O’Keefe taking 2nd place with a time of 17:46.4, dominating the girl’s side. On the boy’s side, junior Reider Aageson placed 12th with a time of 16:24.8. At the WIAA 4A State XC Championships, Anna Callahan took 1st place again with a time of 18:03.5. Rebecca O’Keefe followed closely behind, finishing in 3rd place with a time of 18:33.5. On top of her State accomplishment, O’Keefe received the Girls Most Improved award from The Runner WA XC Awards 2022

BOYS TENNIS

Boys Varsity Tennis finished their regular season with an overall record of 10-3. Junior Aditya Goparaju and Sophomore Aadarsh Senthil qualified for the WIAA State Championships, which takes place in the Spring, May 26-27, 2023.

BOYS GOLF
Boys Varsity Golf finished out their season with an overall record of 2-7. With the WIAA State Championships on May 23-24, 2023, the Spartan golfers are determined to represent Skyline well on the course.